Make The Most Of Your Health Care Dollars
To help optimize your health care budget this year, here are a few tips:
1. Stay In-Network: Make sure your doctor(s), laboratory and hospital are a part of your health plan’s provider network so you save on copays and coinsurance amounts
2. Have A Referral: Before seeing a specialists, check to see if you need a referral (and if so, how to request one). Without a referral, you may have to pay for services at the full out-of-pocket cost.
3. Use Alternative Emergency Services: A visit to the hospital emergency department is generally unnecessary for issues such as the flu, minor cuts and sprains, or urinary tract infections. Overall costs are usually lower at medical aid units (MAUs) and urgent care centers.
4. Take the tests: These include screenings, tests, vaccines and other care that your plan covers. When you and your family stay healthy, you can avoid doctor’s visits and missing work.
5. Take Your Medicine: People who take their medicine(s) as prescribed need less health care – and less expensive care.
6. Find the Best Price for the Medication You Need: Some generics are up to 80 percent less expensive than brand names, and also have the lowest copays.
7. Use your health flexible spending account (FSA) dollars: If you don’t use the money that you have contributed to your account, you’ll lose it at the end of the year.
Information provided by: http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=2778&topicId=100025082&docId=l:1582329640&Em=7&start=4